Break away from Mount Isa with an acreage property
If you want plenty of room for your Mount Isa home or business, then acreage property is what you need. Owning an acreage property can give you a real sense of freedom, and it’s very affordable in Mount Isa compared to many other locations.
How much is an acre?
An acre is 4,047 square metres of land. To put that into perspective, the average size of a block of residential land in Australia is now 467 square metres. So an acre of land is almost 10 times the size of an average Australian residential property!
Average lot sizes in major capital cities in Australia have been getting smaller and houses have been getting bigger over the past few decades, but that trend is less severe in smaller towns like Mount Isa. Both big yards and big houses are common.
Mount Isa land for sale also tends to be far larger than the current Australian average of 467 square metres for residential homes. Most blocks are closer to an acre and some are well above.
Like any property, acreage properties have their pros and cons. Let’s look at each in turn.
The pros of acreage
Acreage properties can provide you with:
- more space and open air,
- more privacy,
- more peace and quiet, and
- a chance to get more in touch with nature.
The cons of acreage
On the flip side, acreage properties can have:
- more isolation,
- more mowing and yard maintenance requirements, and
- higher council rates charges.
What are the council rates on Mount Isa acreage?
Like anywhere, you have to pay council rates on any Mount Isa property you buy. Rates in Mount Isa are half yearly and they depend on the Mount Isa City Council’s valuation of your land, the type of property you have, and the amount of water you use.
The higher the value of the land, the more rates you pay (and vice versa). There are five broad categories of Mount Isa properties in terms of Council rate charges:
- intensive business and industries (for the mines, power stations etc.).
Questions to ask before buying acreage
Asking the right questions can help you to decide if an acreage property is right for your needs.
- how is the land zoned (e.g. residential, commercial, etc.)?
- are there any land deed restrictions that prevent you from doing anything on the land?
- are all utility services available and connected (e.g. water, electricity, NBN, rubbish collection, etc.)
- where are the boundary lines with surrounding properties?
- does the property have an appropriate septic system?
- are there any easement arrangements in place that allow third-party access to the land for specific reasons?
- does the land drain well?
- Will the property be relatively easy to maintain (and will you need any special equipment to do so)?
Should you buy Mt Isa acreage?
There’s no right or wrong answer to that question. It depends on what you want and what you need. It can be a great option if you want (or need) all of the benefits it can provide.
But if you decide you want or need something smaller, there are residential and commercial properties of all shapes and sizes in Mount Isa.
If you’re thinking about buying, selling, renting or leasing any Mount Isa property (including acreage), or you need your property managed, contact our team today for an obligation-free chat! We’d be happy to provide you with advice and to answer any questions you have about any Mount Isa real estate.