Save the dates — upcoming Mount Isa events
Life in Mount Isa is what you make of it and there’s a diverse range of local events coming up. Whether you want to see a musical, go on a motorbike ride for charity, or celebrate international men’s day in typical Mt Isa fashion, there’s something for everyone.
The Sunshine Club
Written and directed by Wesley Enoch, it features 28 songs by composer John Rodgers that include a variety of musical styles. Its thought-provoking story is about a returning World War II digger struggling to reunite with the girl of his dreams.
Ride for Pink
Ride for Pink is a local motorcycle ride to raise funds for the Mount Isa Breast Cancer Foundation. It will be held on Sunday 15 October and starts from the back car park at the Outback at Isa in Marian Street at 10am.
Why not get into the spirit by wearing your best pink outfit? There will be prizes on the day for the best dressed male and female.
It costs $25 for riders to register and $15 for passengers. Kids under 15 are free, and of course, any donations on the day are going to a very worthwhile cause.
Popeys Diesel International Men’s Day
Popeys Diesel International Men’s Day is a celebration of men in the Mount Isa, Camooweal and Cloncurry regions. As you’d expect, it’s a casual event featuring a demolition derby, goldfish races and plenty of fun.
This year’s event will be held on Saturday November 18 at Buchanan Park in George Street, starting at 6.30pm. Tickets are $95 which includes your entry and a meal and they go on sale on Friday 13 October. You can stay up to date with everything happening in the leadup to the event here.
Guest speaker will be Queensland State of Origin legend Billy Moore, so make sure your vocal cords are ready for plenty of raucous “Queenslander” calls to arms.
International Men’s Day is celebrated in more than 80 countries around the world and has six main objectives:
- Highlighting male role models.
- Acknowledging the contribution men make to society.
- Improving male health (both physical and mental).
- Overcoming discrimination and disadvantage.
- Encouraging positive gender relations.
- Creating a safer environment for everyone.
Although it’s known as International Men’s Day, it’s an event for men, women and children to celebrate the positive impact men can make around them every day.
The annual Mt Isa event was held for the first time in 2021 and features three awards each year:
- man of achievement (open to all ages for a man who has demonstrated leadership and is a positive role model for the community via either paid or volunteer roles)
- local hero (open to all ages for a man who has demonstrated leadership and is a positive role model for the community via volunteer roles)
- youth leader (open to males under the age of 18 who demonstrates leadership and is a positive role model for their peers).
Nominations for these three awards can be made via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’re thinking about buying, selling, renting or leasing any Mt Isa property, or you need your property professionally managed, then contact our team today for an obligation-free chat!
We’d be happy to provide you with advice and to answer any property questions you have.