Should you get a ducted or split system air conditioner
An air conditioner is almost a ‘must have’ in any Mount Isa home or business. If you’re thinking of getting air con, you have two options – a ducted or split system. Both have their pros and cons. Read on to find out everything you need to know to decide on the right air conditioner for you.
What is a ducted air conditioner?
A ducted air con system pumps air through a system of connected ceiling ducts into different rooms of a home or business. Warmer outside air is cooled in the ducted system before being circulated.
What is a split system air conditioner?
A split system air conditioner has an inside and outside unit. The outside unit can be connected to one or more inside units that are usually placed on walls (though they can be floor mounted or placed under ceilings).
The pros and cons of ducted air con systems
Ducted air con systems have their pros and cons. Let’s look at the pros first.
Ducted air con systems:
- are more energy efficient than split systems, meaning that they cost less to run.
- are more suitable for large areas (for example, if you want to have air con in multiple rooms or throughout your home or business).
- are quieter when operating than split systems.
- are less noticeable in your home or business than split systems.
Ducted air con systems:
- cost more to install than split systems
- aren’t as suitable for smaller areas (for example, if you only want air con in a single room).
The pros and cons of split system air conditioners
Split system air conditioners also have their pros and cons.
- cost less to install than ducted systems.
- are better for smaller areas (for example, if you only want air con in a single room).
- aren’t as energy efficient as ducted systems, meaning that they cost more to run.
- aren’t as suitable for large areas (for example, if you want to have air con in multiple rooms or throughout your home or business).
- are noisier when operating than ducted systems.
- are more noticeable in your home or business than ducted systems.
Can you run your air con 24/7?
Yes, you can, but if you do that regularly, you should also make sure you clean your filter and get it professionally serviced at least twice a year. You can find tips on how to do that here.
How long do air con systems last?
This depends on the quality of your system, how extensively you use it, and how well it is maintained. Even with extensive use, if you buy a high quality system and maintain it properly, you should get years of use out of it.
What is reverse cycle air conditioning?
A reverse cycle air conditioner can heat your home or business if necessary, not just cool it. Reverse cycle air con is available in both ducted and split systems, but heating isn’t as much of a need in Mount Isa!
The bottom line
The type of air conditioner you should get depends on your needs, preferences and budget. Both types of systems can help you to beat the Mount Isa heat!
If you’re thinking about leasing, renting, selling or buying any Mt Isa property, or you need your investment or commercial property managed, then contact our team today for an obligation-free chat!
We’d be happy to provide you with advice and to answer any questions you have.